Grace Episcopal Church, Parish House addition and renovation, Keswick, Va.

The 1920’s parish house is set apart from the venerable stone sanctuary designed in the 1840’s by noted Philadelphia Architect William Strickland. The Church’s growing congregation needed a large gathering space as well as other support spaces and classrooms. As Project architect, with BRW Architects, Andy headed up a team that designed and documented the Parish house renovation and addition. The project was awarded an Honor Award by the Central Virginia Society of the American Institute of Architects. The design is both deferential to the low, stucco and slate original structure and adds a new oak timbered parish hall that serves the expanded needs of the congregation for large gatherings, dinners, assemblies and other events. The hall includes an inglenook at one end that allows smaller gatherings to comfortably use the space as well. The new addition also includes new classrooms, a kitchen, and a courtyard. Renovated spaces included a choir room, classrooms, and offices. A new entrance and outdoor gathering space faces the original sanctuary. The Parish House project allows the congregation to continue to come together in lively community.